I am delighted to share with you, the KHAS family, the outstanding achievements and developments of our University in the past year, with this traditional message that I send you annually at the very beginning of the new year that we have entered with great hope.
- Our primary priority throughout the pandemic outbreak has always been the health of our employees and students. We have achieved to set up and update our entire IT infrastructure in a very short time, such as 1 week, by taking accurate and swift decisions; and as of March 20, 2020, we became one of the rare universities that could continue their education online on 20 March 2020.
- As Kadir Has University, we achieved 94% placement rate as a result of 2020 Higher Education Foundations Examination.
- 1092 new undergraduate students joined us. The number of our students was recorded as 5056 in total; including 19 associate, 4420 undergraduate and 617 graduate students.
- The number of our overall graduates has reached to 14939.
- We prepared our road map for the 2020-2024 period: We have completed our 5-year (2020-2024) Strategic Plan, which is a very comprehensive work product developed with the contributions of all our stakeholders, particularly our academic and administrative staff, students and graduates in line with the goal of becoming a true World-Renowned University. Our Strategic Plan, which defines Kadir Has University's 5-year goals and draws a road map on how to achieve these goals is now available at https://khas.edu.tr/tr/hakkimizda/stratejik-plan web address.
- By merging the Faculty of Business Administration and the Faculty of Economics, Administrative and Social Sciences, we have gathered all the departments affiliated to these two faculties under one roof as Faculty of Economics, Administrative and Social Sciences.
- By bringing in valuable scientists to our academic staff, we have increased the number of our faculty members to 294. Among these valuable faculty members who have recently joined our academic staff are:
Faculty of Economics, Administrative and Social Sciences
- Prof. Dr. Alp Erinç Yeldan/ Dean of FASS, Economics
- Prof. Dr. Selahattin Adil Sarıbay/ Psychology
- Asst. Prof. Ulaş Karakoç, Economics
- Asst. Prof. Berkay Ayhan, Political Science and Public Administration
- Asst. Prof. Gamze Öztürk Danışman, Accounting and Finance Man.
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
- Prof. Dr. Mehmet Timur Aydemir, Electrical - Electronics Engineering
- Prof. Dr. Şener Oktik, Mechatronics Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Ahmet Fatih Tabak, Mechatronics Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Emre Ozan Polat, Mechatronics Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Muhammet Mustafa Çetin, Bioinformatics and Genetics
Faculty of Law
- Prof. Dr. Ayşe Işıl Ergüvenç, Public Law
Faculty of Arts and Design
- Prof. Dr. Banu Manav, Dean of Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design
- Assoc. Prof. Kıvanç Kılınç, Architecture
Faculty of Communication
- Asst. Prof. Özen Baş, New Media
- Asst. Prof. Ertuğ Altınay
- Asst. Prof. Joseph Robert Graham, Visual Communication Design
School of Foreign Languages
- Instructor Millicent Tuttle Francis, Academic English Program
- Instructor Tuğba Kaya, Academic English Program
- Instructor Fevzi İşsever, English Preparatory Program
- Instructor Aylin Yurdacan, English Preparatory Program
- Instructor Şeyda Gündüz Kasal, English Preparatory Program
- Instructor Süleyman Sercan Yüksek, English Preparatory Program
- We have expanded our Core Program academic staff and brought in very valuable names to our staff.
|Core Program Academic Staff|
· Anna McMurray
· Stacey Anne Johnson
· Deniz Halman Tomaka
· Terence Joseph Holden
· Güldeniz Kıbrıs Atalay
· Yunus Emre Tapan
· Yüce Aydoğan
· Nil Tonyalı
· Bilge Ulusman
· Burak Servili
· Selver Sezen
· Zeynep Kutluata
· Başak Deniz Özdoğan Doğduaslan
- All our departments have implemented our Core Program, the first leg of our New Education Model which is unique in Turkey and exemplary in the world: The Core Program, aiming to transfer universal values and competencies to our students and transforms them into universal individuals was initially started to be implemented in only three departments as a pilot scheme as of the 2019-2020 Academic Year, and has become a significant part of all our department’s curricula this year.
- 12 Departments have implemented our Project Based Education Model, the second leg of our New Education Model and which is unique in Turkey and exemplary in the world. We have expanded the Project-Based Education Model, which was initiated in 2019-20 Academic Year in Mechatronics Engineering, Civil Engineering and Electrical-Electronics Engineering affiliated within the Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences, to 12 departments as of the 2020-2021 academic year. The Project Based Education Model is now being implemented in all departments of the Faculty of Communication and Faculty of Art and Design.
|Faculty of Communication||Faculty of Arts and Design||Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences|
|• Visual Communication Design||• Industrial Design||• Mechatronics Engineering|
|• Public Relations and Presentation||• Interior Architecture and Environmental Design||• Civil Engineering|
|• Radio, Television, and Cinema||• Architecture||• Electrical-Electronics Engineering|
|• Advertising||• Theater|
|• New Media|
- We have launched the “White Doves Scholarship Program”, which is one of our projects that I am proud of. It grows with each passing day via your valuable contributions and through which we have brought in 3 very successful, idealistic, determined and world-class students to our university. Thanks to this scholarship fund that gets richer every day; we will continue to support more students who try to open up like a snowdrop flower in their face of impossibilities and who prefer our university upon achieving high rankings and scores in the Higher Education Foundations Examination exam due to difficult conditions. On this occasion, I would like to sincerely thank all our graduates who have not spared us their financial and moral contributions.
- In the past year, we have once again made sure that we are progressing towards our goal of becoming a research-oriented university with firm steps and with the right strategies and continued to achieve great success:
As of 2020, the number of active research projects conducted by our faculty members was 35 and the total amount of funds granted based on these projects was 79.302.138,17 TL.
- We applied to TÜBİTAK 2244, University-Industry Cooperation Project, for the first time and succeeded 70% as Kadir Has University while the overall success rate in Turkey is below 50%.
- The projects of our 13 academics have been accepted by TUBİTAK 1001, Scientific and Technological Research Projects Support Program 2020.
- The projects of our 6 academics have been accepted by TUBİTAK 3501, Career Development Program.
- 3 of our “female” academics (I would like to more proudly emphasize this issue) have proudly carried the name of our University in the international arena as the leaders of the consortium in the European Union and other international projects.
- We have ranked #8 among more than 200 universities which successfully brought overseas funds to Turkey within the scope of Horizon 2020. (The total amount of funds brought in within this context is 2.401.234 €). I sincerely thank our academics who helped us achieve this success by working with great determination even under pandemic conditions.
- Our undergraduate students have started to significantly support our research projects In 2020, the studies of 4 bachelor’s degree students of our University have been published in internationally prestigious scientific journals. The number of undergraduate students participating in research groups is 112, for now.
- As Kadir Has University, we have been ranked the 3rd in the “Reducing Inequalities” category and the 5th in the “Social Gender Equality” category of The University Impact Ranking Turkey 2020.
- Following the pandemic outbreak, we moved the KHAS Public Colloquium Series online and continued as the KHAS Online Public Colloquia. We would like to invite all of you to our colloquia.
- 1) 17 February 2020, Burhan Karaçam, Former General Manager of Yapı Kredi Bank, Board Member of Fenerbahçe Sports Club, “Banking and Football”
- 2) 14 April 2020, Prof. Dr. Kemal Yelekçi, Kadir Has University, “Computational Molecular Biology: Complex Calculations for a Decent Life”
- 3) 20 May 2020, Prof. Dr. Gökhan Hotamışlıgil, Harvard University, “The Relationship Between Defense and Energy in Biological Systems”
- 4) 3 June 2020, Prof. Dr. Mehran Kardar, Massachusetts Institute Technology, “Modeling Affinity Maturation of Antibodies Targeting Viral Spikes”
- 5) 17 June 2020, Prof. Dr. Şevket Pamuk, Boğaziçi University, “Major Epidemics in the Middle East Throughout History”
- 6) 1 July 2020, Prof. Dr. Sondan Durukanoğlu Feyiz, Kadir Has University, “Unequal Quantum Mechanics and University Management in Times of Crisis”
- 7) 22 July 2020, Prof. Dr. M.A. Yekta Saraç, Head of YÖK (Council of Higher Education), “Restructuring of New YÖK and Turkish Higher Education via New and Innovative Initiatives”
- 8) 10 August 2020, Prof. Dr. Hasan Mandal, Head of TÜBİTAK (Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey), “Science and Pandemics: Protection and Use"
- 9) 9 September 2020, Prof. Dr. Volkan Ediger, Kadir Has University, “Turkey's Most Recent Petroleum and Natural Gas Outlook”
- 10) 23 September 2020, Asst. Prof. Gözde Durmuş, Stanford University, "Early Diagnosis and Treatment”
- 11) 7 October 2020, Prof. Dr. Yonca Erkan, Kadir Has University, “Industrialization, Social Change and Protection of Cultural Heritage as a tool of Cultural Continuity”
- 12) 22 October 2020, Asst. Prof. Serim İlday, Bilkent University, “How does Complexity arise from Simplicity? Are there universal rules for this? Praising Schrödinger's "What is life?" question"
- 13) 11 November 2020, Asst. Prof. Canan Dağdeviren, Massachusetts Institute Technology, “New Materials, Design and Initiatives in Health Science”
- 14) 25 November 2020, Assoc. Prof. Özge Akbulut, Sabancı University, “Materials Science in Medicine: Synthetic Training Platform for Surgeons”
- 15) 9 December 2020, Prof. Dr. Gülsün Sağlamer, Rector of İstanbul Technical University (1996-2004), “Progress in the Knowledge Triangle: İstanbul Technical University Period Between 1996-2004”
- 16) 23 December 2020, Prof. Dr. Sondan Durukanoğlu Feyiz, Kadir Has University, “Avoiding Pandemics and Progressing Despite Pandemics at University”
- We conducted our High School Summer School http://liseyazokulu.khas.edu.tr/ online with huge participation of 524 students, even under pandemic conditions. Our High School Winter School http://liseyazokulu.khas.edu.tr/ continues unabated.
The corridors, classrooms and social areas of our university have been deprived of our students since March 2020. And we missed all our students very much. 2020 has been a year in which crowded activities and competitions could not be provided both in daily life and academic education. Although the frequency of the events has decreased, we continued to hear about success stories not only from our dear alumni, our students but also our esteemed professors; these success stories seemed like medicine to us in the days when the pandemic outbreak dulled us. In 2020, we continued to be proud of their success stories. The list that includes some of the awards and achievements we received in 2020, the names of our valuable lecturers who joined our university, who have executed significant projects that I mentioned above and who have been granted funds are available at https://www.khas.edu.tr/sites/khas.edu.tr/files/inline-files/kadir-has-universitesinde-2020-de-neler-oldu.pdf web address.
I sincerely hope that 2021 will be a year in which all of our pains will bring joy, our hopes reach out to greater hopes, our dreams reach out to reality and our patients recover their health.
With my warm regards, sincerely
Prof. Dr. Sondan Durukanoğlu Feyiz
President, Kadir Has University