I am very happy to share with you, the KHAS family, the outstanding achievements and developments of our University in the year we have left behind.
- We started face to face education in 2021 after a long break. Our corridors, classrooms, offices and cats finally rejoined our students, academic and administrative staff. :)
- Kadir Has University achieved an Occupancy Rate of 91% after the Higher Education Institution Examination 2021.
- 1043 new undergraduate students joined us. The total number of students is 5034; 3 students seeking for an associate’s degree; 4344 for a bachelor’s degree, and 687 for a graduate degree.
- Our number of graduates has reached 15.875.
- Our Academic Staff is now even stronger as new invaluable scientists are joined in our academic team recently:
Faculty of Economics, Administrative and Social Sciences
- Prof. Dilek Cindoğlu, Political Science and Public Administration
- Assoc. Prof. Emel Akçalı, International Relations
- Asst. Prof. Kerem Yıldırım, Political Science and Public Administration
- Asst. Prof. Sibel Karadağ, Political Science and Public Administration
- Asst. Prof. Mehmet Kerem Çoban, Political Science and Public Administration
Faculty of Communication
- Prof. Metin Kozak, Advertising
- Lecturer Doruk Kumkumoğlu, Visual Communication Design
Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences
- Assoc. Prof. Özkan Karabacak, Mechatronics Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Anıl Ufuk Batmaz, Mechatronics Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Mine Saraç Stroppa, Mechatronics Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Fabio Stroppa, Computer Engineering
- Asst. Prof. M. Mustafa Çetin, Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Asst. Prof. Tunçer Baykaş, Electrical-Electronics Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Aslı Senem Açıkel, Civil Engineering
- Asst. Prof. Sarven Akçelyan, Civil Engineering
Faculty of Art and Design
- Lecturer Hazan Kara Tiryakioğlu, Industrial Design
- Lecturer Mehmet Turgut Çırpanlı, Industrial Design
- Lecturer Jörg Alexander Menke-Peitzmeyer, Theatre
Department of Core Academics / Core Program
- Asst. Prof. Doğu Durgun, Core Program
- Lecturer Dr. Anna Vakalis, Core Program
- Lecturer Dr. David Reed Albachten, Core Program
- Lecturer Dr. Çimen Özgüç Önal, Core Program
- Lecturer Dr. Nuray Söğünmez Erdoğan, Core Program
- Lecturer Dr. Gulnara Kenzhebulatova, Core Program
School of Foreign Languages
- Lecturer Farzana Kazem, English Preparatory Program
- Lecturer Stephanie Lee Rummel, English Preparatory Program
- Lecturer Zehra Karslı, English Preparatory Program
- Lecturer Gürsel Kahraman, English Preparatory Program
- Lecturer Naile İlkyaz Koşar Tural, English Preparatory Program
- Lecturer Bedi Cananoğlu, English Preparatory Program
- We started to apply the Core Program, which is the first stage of our New Education Model, a first in Turkey and an example for the World, to all the departments in 2021 and, the Project Based Education Model, which is the second stage, started to be implemented at 14 departments in total with the inclusion of the department of Computer Engineering and, the department of Molecular Biology and Genetics in the same year.
|Faculty of Communication||Faculty of Art and Design||Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences|
|• Visual Communication Design||• Industrial Design||• Mechatronics Engineering|
|• Public Relations and Information||• Interior Architecture and Environmental Design||• Civil Engineering|
|• Radio, Television and Cinema||• Architecture||• Electrical-Electronics Engineering|
|• Advertising||• Theater||• Computer Engineering|
|• New Media||• Molecular Biology and Genetics|
- Encouraging our students to specialize in different areas, we ensured that 100 students enrolled for Double Major Programs and, 140 students for Minor Programs in 2021. The total number of students enrolled for Double Major Programs increased to 197, and for Minor Programs to 192.
- 5 very successful, idealist and determined students were included into the ‘White Doves Scholarship Program’, which is one of our projects I am proud of the most and which grows with your valuable contributions. Thus, the number of students who we support under the scope of our scholarship program reached to 8. Thanks to this fund that is further increasing day by day, we will continue supporting more students, who struggle to bloom like snowdrops despite impossibilities, and who pass in the Higher Education Institution Examination at higher rankings and with higher scores under tough conditions preferring to study at our university. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank from the depths of my heart all the graduates and employees who always materially and morally contribute to our university.
- We continued taking firm steps forward with the right strategies on the way to our objective of being a research oriented university, resulting in many achievements:
In 2021, the number of research projects entitled to supports for project proposals submitted by our lecturers was 38, and the total fund obtained from these projects was TL 25.093.432. Thus, the total number of active research projects carried out by our lecturers in 2021 reached to 77, and the total fund obtained from these projects increased to TL 147.450.946.
- • Projects from 15 KHAS academicians were accepted to the TUBITAK 1001, Scientific and Technologic Research Projects Supporting Program in 2021.
- • 5 of 6 project proposals submitted by our university within the scope of the TUBITAK 1001 Earthquake Special Call were supported resulting in our university reaching the highest success rate (83%) among foundation universities.
- • Projects from 8 young academicians from our university were accepted within the scope of the TUBITAK 3501 Career Development Program in 2021.
- • Our university achieved to win the first project in participation with Turkcell from the TUBITAK TEYDEB 1505 University-Industry Collaboration Program.
- • In 2021, we submitted 80 project proposals in total to TUBITAK , 69 of which were for TUBITAK ARDEB Programs.
- • We obtained support of TL 1.26 million from the Istanbul Development Agency (IDA) to establish the ‘DESIGNHUB-IST Design, Education and Application Center’ at our university.
- • 4 faculty members of our university acted as stakeholders for the COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) Actions.
- • Our university ranked the 8th among more than 200 universities successfully bringing foreign funds to Turkey within the scope of Horizon 2020 (fund amount brought: Euro 2.780.483).
I wholeheartedly thank our academic staff who have resolutely worked allowing us to accomplish these achievements even under the pandemic conditions.
- We achieved to increase the number of our publications per academis staff member from 1.38 in 2021 according to the data from Scopus (0.74 in 2018, 0.86 in 2019, and 0.93 in 2020).
- On the last days of 2021, we signed a protocol with the Municipality of Silivri for a Technopark which will put into practice at our Selimpaşa Campus within the scope of the Technology Development Zone.
- 4 academicians of our university were awarded under the scope of the Science Academy Young Scientists (BAGEP) Research Program, which is a first in the history of Kadir Has University. We wholeheartedly congratulate our academicians on this great achievement.
- * Asst. Prof. Deniz EROĞLU, Molecular Biology and Genetics
- * Asst. Prof. Emre Ozan POLAT, Mechatronics Engineering
- * Assoc. Prof. Onurcan YILMAZ, Psychology
- * Assoc. Prof. H. Akın ÜNVER, International Relations
- Our students became an important stakeholder of the research ecosystem created in our university, which will continue to increase: The articles of 2 undergraduate students, 11 master’s students and 11 PhD students were published on international prestigious magazines in 2021.
- The total number of scholarship holders supported since they took part in research projects carried out in 2021 increased to 181; of whom there are 51 undergraduate students, 60 master’s students, 60 PhD students and 10 post-doc students.
- Undergraduate students achieved to be scholarship holders with the TUBITAK STAR Program and started to work as internship researchers for TUBITAK R&D Projects. 16 undergraduate students (of whom there are 12 KHAS students) were awarded support for 10 projects carried out at our university within the scope of this program, and 5 KHAS students were awarded support for projects carried out by other institutions.
- Our university ranked 1st in the category of Gender Equality and ranked 3rd in the category of Reduced Inequalities in Turkey on the THE Impact Rankings 2021 organized by the Times Higher Education ranking the universities in respect of “Sustainable Development Goals”.
- We kept putting continuous efforts to achieve our goal of Internationalization in 2021:
- * We increased the number of international undergraduate students by 58% in 2021.
- * We opened the first master’s degree program consisting of 100% international students (MBA – Professional Program).
- * Despite the pandemic conditions, the number of outgoing students was 41, the number of outgoing personnel was 6, the number of incoming students was 48, the number of incoming academician was 1, and the number of incoming personnel was 3 under the scope of Erasmus+ Mobility with Higher Education Program Countries, Erasmus+ Mobility with High Education Common Countries and, Erasmus+ Mobility for Internship in 2021. All the outgoing students were supported by donations from Erasmus.
- We continued the KHAS Public Colloquium Series, where we host esteemed scientists, on an online platform this year. You are invited to these colloquiums.
- 1) January 6, 2021, Prof. Dr. Nihat Berker, Kadir Has University, "Exits at Chaos and Interfaces, Social Sciences and Literature in Applied Sciences, Early Achievements"
- 2) January 20, 2021, Prof. Nergis Mavalvala, Dean, Faculty of Applied Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, "Education and Social Equity in Pandemic Times"
- 3) February 3, 2021, Assoc. Prof. Akın Ünver, Kadir Has University, "War and Peace: What Could Numerical Analysis of Conflicts Teach Us About Peace?"
- 4) February 17, 2021, Prof. Dr. Demet Akten Akdoğan, Kadir Has University, "Giant Worker Molecules in Cells: Proteins and Their Unique Dynamic Structures"
- 5) March 4, 2021, Prof. Dr. Efthimios Kaxiras, Harvard University, "The Physics of Twistronics: The Tale of Twisted Stacked Nano-Structures"
- 6) March 17, 2021, Prof. Dr. Gülaçtı Topçu, Bezmialem Foundation University, "Plants: Life and Research"
- 7) March 31, 2021, Prof. Dr. Coşkun Kocabaş, The University of Manchester, "Smart Graphene Surfaces and Active Camouflage Technologies"
- 8) April 14, 2021, Prof. Dr. Başak Baysal, Kadir Has University, "Law and Mathematics"
- 9) April 28, 2021, Asst. Prof. Deniz Eroğlu, Kadir Has University, "Dynamics of Life: Complexity, Chaos and Collective Movement"
- 10) June 2, 2021, Asst. Prof. Emre Ozan Polat, Kadir Has University, "Graphene Science and Graphene Devices That Change Our Lives"
- 11) June 16, 2021, Prof. Dr. Banu Manav, Kadir Has University, "Architecture and Art-Design: Aesthetic, Practice"
- 12) September 29, 2021, Prof. Dr. Feryal Özel, Arizona University, "First Image of Black Holes"
- 13) October 13, 2021, Sedat Birol, Former Chairman of Eczacıbaşı Holding Healthcare Group, Life Rhythm Business Partner, Executive Coach, Trainer, Consultant, Mentor, Speaker, "10 Basic Keys to be Happy and Successful"
- 14) October 27, 2021, Assoc. Prof. Defne Karaosmanoğlu, Kadir Has University, "Gastrodiplomacy ve Nation Branding: A Critical Point of View"
- 15) November 10, 2021, Prof. Daniel Aalberts, Williams College, "Somewhere over the RNAbow: optimizing protein yield, mRNA vaccine technology, with a song in my heart"
- 16) November 24, 2021, Assoc. Prof. Melis Behlil, Kadir Has University, "Hollywood and Propaganda"
- 17) December 8, 2021, Prof. Jürgen Kurths, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research & Humboldt University Department of Physics, "Climate Meets Complexity: Exploring Predictability of Extreme Climate Events via a Complex Network Approach"
- 18) December 22, 2021, Prof. Dr. Helen Donis-Keller, Olin College, "Intersections of Art, Biology, Engineering, and Education"
- Our Summer and Winter High Schools were open in 2021. In the first semester, 609 students were registred for The Summer High School 2021, and 121 students in the second semester [http://liseyazokulu.khas.edu.tr/]. There were 468 students enrolled for the Winter High School 2021.
The corridors, classrooms and social facilities of our university rejoined our students during the fall semester of the academic year of 2021-2022 in which we achieved to get adapted to the new normal reducing the effects of the ongoing pandemic since March 2020. We were recharged with the energy of our students. 2021 was a year that we could organize limited crowded events and competitions in both education life and daily life to the limited extent. The number of events reduced, but we felt proud of the achievements from both our esteemed graduates and students as well as distinguished academic staff of our university.
If you want to read more about our achievements in 2021, you can check out the special issue of our Newsletter at the following link:
I wholeheartedly wish that 2022 will be a year in which your dreams come true, resentments turn into loves, sadness to happiness, diseases to health, and we all would have a peaceful year in our country and all around the world.
With warmest regards,
Prof. Dr. Sondan Durukanoğlu Feyiz
President, Kadir Has University