Panel Discussion: The Atlantic Alliance and Turkey: Prospects for the Future
The Center for International and European Studies (CIES) at Kadir Has University, in partnership with the International Relations Council of Turkey (UIK), held a panel discussion on the topic on Thursday, 23 November between 15:30 – 17:00 at Galala Hall, Kadir Has University. The event was co-sponsored by NATO’s Public Diplomacy Division.
The discussion focused on Turkey and its relations with the Atlantic Alliance and its partners given its geography as an important actor both in NATO’s Southern and Eastern flanks. In other words, how important and relevant is NATO for Turkey and how important and relevant is Turkey for NATO? What are the key issues defining the relationship? How to move it forward?
The discussants included:
- Ambassador Tacan İldem, Assistant Secretary General, Public Diplomacy Division, NATO, Brussels
- Serhat Guvenc, Professor of International Relations, Kadir Has University, Istanbul
- Ünal Çevikoz, Ambassador (ret.); President, Ankara Policy Centre, Ankara
- Bruno Lété, Senior Fellow, Security and Defense, German Marshall Fund of the United States, Brussels
- Mustafa Aydın, Rector, Kadir Has University / International Relations Council of Turkey, Istanbul (Moderator)
The Event was open to the general public. Its proceedings held in English.